Planning & Development
In compliance with Vermont’s stay-at-home requirement most of Planning and Development staff are working remotely. Public access is by appointment only. Staff member is in the office daily and can be reached at (802) 295-3075.
We appreciate your patience with virtual communications. Addressing resident's and businesses' concerns and questions remain a high priority.
If possible, please contact staff by email (see below).
Voicemail messages may be left on the numbers indicated below.
Lori Hirshfield, Director: email@example.com Phone: 478-1119
Matt Osborn, Town Planner: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 478-1118
Jo-Ann Ells, Zoning Administrator: email@example.com Phone 478-1117
Brenda Lamphere, Administrative Assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 478-1116
To provide efficient and professional planning and development assistance and service to the Hartford community, while preserving the history, character and uniqueness of Hartford
The Department of Planning and Development Services is responsible for the administration of local planning issues, including:
- Building and Zoning Permits
- Capital Improvement Planning and Implementation (CIP)
- Conservation and Natural Resources
- Economic Development
- Flood plain regulations
- Hazard Mitigation Planning
- Historic Preservation
- Long-range planning projects
- Marketing & Tourism
- Site Development Plan Review
- Transportation Planning
- White River Junction Tax Increment Financing District
Commissions & Committees - See pages for each Committee for current meeting schedules.
The department staffs the:
- Climate Advisory Committee
- Community Resilience Organization of Hartford (CROH)
- Conservation Commission
- Design Review Committee
- Energy Commission
- Hartford Business Revolving Loan Fund Committee
- Historic Preservation Commission
- Planning Commission
- Resilient Hartford Committee
- Zoning Board of Adjustment
The department also works closely with:
- Green Mountain Economic Development Corporation
- Hartford Development Corporation
- Small Business Development Center
- Two Rivers-Ottauquechee Planning Commission
- Upper Valley Strong
- Vital Communities
- When do I need a zoning/building permit?
- What do I need to submit with the zoning/building permit application?
- Why do I need to show surface waters on my property?
- Can I locate the structures anywhere on the property?
- Do I need a Zoning/Building Permit for a fence, hedge or retaining wall?
- How do I find out if my property is in a flood plain and do I need any special approvals before I can construct?
- What approvals are required for commercial properties?
- Do I need a zoning/building permit to construct a driveway?
- Are there fees associated with obtaining a building/zoning permit?
- How long does it take to process a permit?
- Must construction begin and be completed within a specified time period after I receive a permit?
- What should I do if there is a change in the project after I have received the permit?
- How do I apply for an administrative approval?
- What do I do after the project is completed?