The Hartford Conservation Commission was established in 1990. Its charge is to:
- Acquire and protect valuable wildlife habitat, scenic view shed and watershed areas.
- Develop an inventory of natural resources throughout Hartford.
- Educate and increase awareness of conservation and recreation goals and impacts.
- Encourage recreational uses consistent with the preservation of the natural beauty that exists within our town.
- Maintain and preserve natural areas.
Meeting Schedule and Members
For Meeting and Member info Click Here
Hartford has approximately 10,000 residents, making it Vermont’s 9th largest town population. Hartford is made up of approximately 29,434 acres, 80% of this land remains undeveloped and 92% is privately owned. These forests, agricultural lands, surface and ground water resources provide economic resources, wildlife habitats, scenic views, recreational opportunities and a rural landscape highly valued by residents and visitors. The present abundance and quality of our natural resources reflects the care and stewardship of many past and present Hartford landowners
The HCC appreciates the critical stewardship that private landowners provide both in the past and present. Future stewardship is essential to maintain and enhance Hartford’s natural resources as expected economic growth, population gain, and climate change increase the pressures on our natural environment. The HCC is committed to helping private landowners in their conservation and environmental efforts that are essential to maintaining our Town’s natural resources. We welcome inquiries.
There are many Vermont and New England based organizations that can provide conservation and environmental assistance for specific subjects that may interest a private landowner. If you wish to visit these sites, please see the Informational Brochure https://vt-hartford.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/1538/Land-Conservation---PDF
• Land Management and Stewardship
- Amphibian Inventory (PDF)
- Audubon Bird Habitat Assessment Habitat Units Map (PDF)
- Audubon Bird Habitat Assessment References (PDF)
- Audubon Bird Habitat Assessment Report (PDF)
- Audubon Bird Habitat Assessment Terminology (PDF)
- Audubon Responsibility Species Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Gardening for Life
- Hartford Natural Resources Map (PDF)
- Wildlife Habitat Assessment - Bat Inventory (PDF)
- Wildlife Habitat Assessment (PDF)