Hartford Committee on Housing and Homelessness
On July 26, 2022, the Hartford Selectboard created the Hartford Committee on Housing and Homelessness.
To support the increase of Hartford's affordable housing stock as well as Hartford residents' well-being and access to stable housing, with actions that might include the following:
- Identifying, tracking and reporting metrics regarding housing stock in Hartford and the state of Hartford’s unhoused, unsheltered and housing insecure communities.
- Identifying regulatory obstacles within State and local legislation to the creation and occupation of affordable housing in Hartford.
- Assessing strengths and gaps regarding Hartford’s housing stock and local and regional services and opportunities for people experiencing homelessness and housing insecurity.
- Collecting mission statements and summaries of existing efforts of local and regional entities dedicated to addressing the region's housing crisis.
- Creating an Affordable Housing Master Plan to identify current and potential future need for affordable housing including scenarios anticipating climate immigration and migration potentials (Climate Action Plan Section CE 2-2).
- Supporting housing-related town planning and development initiatives such as updating the Town Plan Housing Chapter.
- Supporting outreach and opportunities for regional collaboration between the Core 4 Towns to address housing and homelessness issues.
The Committee will be constituted by no more than seven Hartford residents, including one Selectboard Member. Each of these members shall have equal weight in discussion and voting. The Committee shall also include up to one non-voting member of town staff at the discretion of the Town Manager, for a total of eight members.
Committee members shall serve two-year terms beginning on the date of appointments, which may be renewed up to three times for a total of six years at the discretion of the Selectboard. This Committee shall be a standing committee and shall serve until discontinued by motion of the Selectboard.
All vacancies, including those that result from an incomplete term, will be filled using the following process:
1. Members of the community interested in serving on the Committee shall apply to the Selectboard.
2. The Selectboard will ratify or reject by a vote each new appointment to the Committee.
As with all Hartford Committees, the Hartford Committee on Housing and Homelessness must operate in accordance with the Statutes of the State of Vermont and the Ordinances and Policies of the Town of Hartford. All meetings will be warned and open to the public and the minutes of these meetings will be recorded and posted in accordance with Vermont's Open Meeting Law.