Conservation CommissionThe Hartford Conservation Commission was established in 1990. Its charge is to:
- Acquire and protect valuable wildlife habitat, scenic view shed and watershed areas.
- Develop an inventory of natural resources throughout Hartford.
- Educate and increase awareness of conservation and recreation goals and impacts.
- Encourage recreational uses consistent with the preservation of the natural beauty that exists within our town.
- Maintain and preserve natural areas.
To identify and protect Hartford’s natural resources, to educate our community about natural heritage, and to foster local environmental stewardship.
Meeting Schedule and Members
|Thomas Kahl, Chair (08-24-24)||Jonathan Bouton, Treasurer (09-07-24)|
|Vacant||Katie Mann, Vice Chair (03-20-27)|
|Mary Hutchins (11-04-23)||Lee Michaelides (10-31-26)|
|Ted Levin (11-15-25)||Mary Erdei, Selectboard Liaison|
- 1st Monday of the Month. 2023 Meeting Schedule
- Agendas and Minutes can be found in the Agenda Center
- Trails Map of the Hartford Town Forest and Hurricane Forest Wildlife Refuge, November 2021 Appendix A
- Map of Boundary and Forest Management Units, Harwood Forestry Services, 2011 Appendix B
- Hartford Town Forest Resource Assessment and Forest Managment Plan Appendix C
- Map of Town Forest Boundary and Forest Management Units Appendix D
- Enactment of Permanent Conservation Plan for Wetland Property Appendix E
- Forest Bird Habitat Assessment Appendix F
- Biological Inventory of Amphibians Appendix G
- Bat Inventory Hartford Town Forest, Northern Stewards, 2011 Appendix H
- Hartford Town Forest Recreation Managment Plan, Adopted November 2021 Appendix I
- Hartford Town Forest Recreation Plan, SE Group 2018 Appendix J
- Vermont Town Forest Recreation Planning Natural Resources Guidance Toolkit, 2018 Appendix K
- Upper Valley Mountain Bike Association Member Network MOU Appendix L
In 2021, the Hartford Conservation Commission updated the Recreational Management Plan for the Hartford Town Forest.
- 2021 Recreation Management Plan (See attached)
- List of Uses (See attached)
- 2018 Recreation Plan SE Group (See attached)
If you have questions about the Recreation Management Plan, please contact Matt Osborn at firstname.lastname@example.org or (802)478-1118.
Hartford Town Forest Trails Map November 2021
Town Forest Resource Assessment & Forest Management Plan
During 2019 and 2020, The Conservation Commission worked with County Forester A.J. Follensbee on an update of the Town Forest Resource Assessment and Forest Management Plan (TFRA & FMP).
On November 2, 2020, the Hartford Selectboard adopted the plan.
In addition, a remote community meeting on the update of the Forest Management Plan for the Hartford Town Forest was held on Wednesday, July 15, 2020. See video below.
- Adopted Town Forest Resource Assessment/Forest Management Plan (See attached) (See attached)
- Timber Harvest Update, May 5, 2022 (See here)
- Town Forest Management & 2023 Selective Cut Summary (See here)
- Three-page Summary (See here)
- Forest Stands Map (See here)
- Timber Harvest 2023 (See here)
On January 31, 2022, the Conservation Commission hosted a community meeting on the planned 2023 Timber Harvest. The following is a link to the meeting. If you wish to view the meeting minutes from the January 31, 2022 meeting you can locate them here.
The following is a link to a series of videos that County Forester A.J. Follensbee has put together on forest management and the planned winter 2022/2023 timber harvest.
If you wish to correspond with Members by mail please address to 171 Bridge Street, White River Junction, VT 05001. To leave a message please call 802-295-3075.
Interested in getting involved
If you are interested in getting involved with the Conservation Commission or have questions about their work, contact Matt Osborn at email@example.com