Historic Preservation CommissionHistoric Preservation Commission was formed in February, 1993. It's charge is to:
- create and maintain a system for the survey and inventory of historic properties within Hartford;
- review nominations of properties that are under construction for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places;
- seek and prepare applications for funding for preservation activities;
- Advise and assist individuals, Boards, and Commissions on matters relating to the preservation of historic resources; and
- perform additional responsibilities as required
- Jonathan Schechtman, Chair (02-10-23)
- Patricia Stark, Vice Chair (03-07-25)
- Susanne Walker Abetti (03-21-25)
- Vacant Seat
- Rocket, Selectboard Liaison
To leave a message please call 802-295-3075.
Certified Local Government
The Town of Hartford is one of sixteen Certified Local Governments (CLG) designated by the Vermont Division of Historic Preservation. As a CLG, Hartford is eligible for assistance and funding through the Division.
The following is a list of CLG grants that Hartford has received since 2010.
- 2010 Terraces Historic District Nomination
- 2011 Agricultural Oral History Project
- 2012 Historic Structures & Sites Survey - Phase I
- 2013 Business Oral History Project
- 2014 Historic Structures & Sites Survey - Phase II
- 2015 Advent Christian Camp Historic District Nomination
- 2016 Update & Expansion of the White River Junction Historic District
- 2017 Historic Preservation Education & Outreach Project
- 2018 Cemetary Research & Oral History Project
- 2021 Taft's Flat Intensive Level Survey
- 2020 Demolition Ordinance
COMMISSION MEMBERSHIP, MEETINGS, AGENDAS AND MINUTES
The Historic Preservation Commission consists of five members, each of whom serves a three-year term. Commissioners are chosen for their interest, knowledge, or professional skills in the areas of history, architecture, archeology, historic preservation. American studies, architectural history, anthropology, planning, or related subjects.
Meetings are normally scheduled for third Wednesday of the month at 5:00 PM
Meeting Schedule 2023 Meeting Schedule
Agendas and Meeting Minutes can be found in the Agenda Center
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION HISTORIC DISTRICT UPDATE
The Town of Hartford received a Certified Local Government grant from the Vermont Division for Historic Preservation to prepare an update to the White River Junction Historic District. Brian Knight was hired by the Town to undertake the project. Currently, Hartford has nine historic districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
EXPLORE THE HISTORIC SITES AND STRUCTURES
This Historic Sites and Structures Survey (HSSS) was undertaken by the Town of Hartford and its Historic Preservation Commission as a Phase II following an earlier Phase I survey.
Phase I of the HSSS was completed in 2013 and included surveys of structures constructed between the late 1700s into the 1920s.
Phase II has picked up where Phase I left off surveyed structures constructed between the 1920s and 1960s.
ADVENT CAMP MEETING GROUNDS HISTORIC DISTRICT
Click here to see the Advent Camp Meeting Grounds Historic District National Register of Historic Places Registration Form.
TAFTS FLAT INTENSIVE LEVEL SURVEY
With a CLG grant, the Town hired Architectural Historian Brian Knight to conduct an Intensive Level Survey of the early to mid-century residential neighborhoods of the Taft's Flat section of White River Junction.
Click here to see Final report.
Click here for a link to the December 8, 2021 Taft's Flat Meeting Presentation
HISTORIC DISTRICT BROCHURES
HILLSIDE DAIRY FARMING IN HARTFORD
The focus of the Agricultural History Project was to capture the life of the farming communities that has spanned fenerations and been a critical chapter Vermont's history.
In a town where two active dairy farms remain of the once dozens and dozens, and many barns have long since been removed, documenting these foundations of the Town's history is vitally important.
Enjoy the Hartford Agricultural Oral History Project 2012 Report (read)
Below you will find the individual interviews for each interviewee participating in the report. If you wish to review, simply click on the name of interest.
- Nellie Bagley & Pat Bagley
- David Brown - Transcript 1 and Transcript 2
- Barbara (Luce) Bagley & Scott Luce
- Gary Clay
- Fred Davis & Betty Davis
- John Eastman, David Eastman, Harold Eastman, Cindy Morris
- Pat Goodrick & Wanda Welch
- Carol Luce Hardy
- Harris Lyman & Mary Lyman
- George Miller & Linda Miller
- Marty Lyman
- Larry Potwin
- Doug Punt
- Mary Rogers
- Peter Schaal
- Chuck Wooster
- Harold Wright