Transportation OrdinanceNotice of Transportation Ordinance Adoption
On November 13, 2012, the Hartford Selectboard adopted the “Town of Hartford, Transportation Ordinance” under the authority granted by 24 V.S.A. 1971 and 19 V.S.A. 304. The ordinance applies to all existing and proposed:
- Bicycle treatments and trails
- Class 1, 2, 3, and 4 town highways
- Driveway entrances and approaches
- Other improvements inside of the typical highway right-of-way
The ordinance does not address:
- Capital budgets
- Driveway standards (except for the driveway entrance)
- Private road standards
- Repaving schedules
- Road surface management system
- Routine maintenance, such as snow and ice removal
- Summer grading
The purpose of the ordinance is to:
- Protect and promote the safety of the traveling public and protect public investment in the town’s highway infrastructure.
- Provide clear, orderly and transparent policies and procedures for town officials and the development community.
- Encourage transportation system improvements to be made concurrent with land use development and transportation demand increases.
- Implement the goals, objectives, and policies of the Hartford Master Plan and other town regulations, ordinances, policies and procedures.
View Physical Full Text of Ordinance
The physical full text of the ordinance may be viewed at:
- The Bugbee Senior Center at 262 N. Main Street in White River Junction
- The Department of Public Works at 173 Airport Road in White River Junction
- The Town Manager’s Office and the Town Clerk’s Office at 171 Bridge Street in White River Junction
Ordinance Effective Date
The ordinance will become effective on January 12, 2013. A petition for a vote on the question of disapproving the ordinance must be signed by not less than 5% of the qualified voters of the municipality, and presented to the legislative body or the clerk of the municipality by December 27, 2012.
Questions & Comments
Please contact Public Works Director Rich Menge at 802-295-3266 or send an email with any questions or comments.
Transportation Ordinance Resources